Welcome to HeroicDestiny.com. I write about the intentional pursuit of your best life.
Who am I?
My name is David Crandall. I’m a husband and a father of 3 children and I am passionate about my life with them. This blog was born out of the desire to create a lifestyle that allows us to spend more time together than the typical 9 to 5 lifestyle.
Here are a few things about me (that turn up on this site often):
- I’m a husband
- I’m a father of 2 daughters and a recently added son
- We have two dogs
- I love them all very much (not so much the dogs when they chew up my stuff)
- My expertise is in Business Intelligence
- I have regular access to the movers in shakers in numerous industries
- I make over six-figures a year in that industry
- My reasons for wanting to leave the template life have nothing to do with money
- I want to spend as much time with my family as I can
- I’ve met some amazing people since starting this journey
- I love writing about them too
- In fact, I love writing
- And finally, I am very passionate about people creating the right lifestyle for themselves and their loved ones
Actually, there is one more thing. For some bizarre reason, one of my claims to fame is that I love unicorns. They pop up often in my writing. Don’t worry, they’re harmless…at least the kind I speak of. 😉
The longer story
Here’s a bit of background for you.
Before April 6, 2009
I found myself thinking all too often “this was NOT what I wanted to be when I grew up”.
I wasn’t an architect or an astronaut, a comedian or an artist. I hadn’t discovered or cured anything and no one had been rescued on my watch. I starred in no movies and had composed no great songs. Any dreams I had of being adventurous, famous, great, rich, or amazing were not happening.
I sat at a desk for way more than 40 hours a week while the limited time offer called ‘my life’ was slowly expiring.
April 6, 2009
So when upper management called me in to let me know of the ‘workforce reduction’, I found myself surprisingly calm. I heard a voice telling me “don’t worry, things are going to be fine”.
I walked out to my car with my cardboard boxes full of desk stuff. I drove out of the parking garage one last time. My wife and I went to lunch to talk about it all. I started hunting for a new job the next day.
Then it all changed. Someone suggested I read the Four Hour Work Week by Tim Ferriss. (I’m sure you’ve never heard of it, right?)
Man, that started a ton of mess, didn’t it? For example:
- Round-up summary – For my 100th post, I did a roundup of all prior entries. For a quick summary of what I’ve offered to date (with links to each post mentioned), check out my 100 Posts!
- How I QUADRUPLED my salary – The technique I used to start earning six figures a year in my corporate job. This is a free download.
- Customer Love – 28 Day challenge that I co-authored on getting your customers to love you. This is also a free download.
- How to Grow Your Blog Through Interviews – I co-authored this product about how to increase your traffic using interviews. Had some really great feedback on it so far.
I am a changed man. I look back now and am so thankful for getting laid off from that job; it was the wakeup call that I desperately needed. My motivation is my family and spending my life with them. Now I want to share that.
I’ve since discovered that leaving the ready-made template life is difficult. There are a lot of psychological and financial concerns to consider. I’ve worked more for this than any else ever. But it is absolutely worth every sleepless night and every crazy moment. Even better (or worse?) is that I’ve come to love the very difficult work that comes from leaving it.
My goal for this site is to help others find their ideal lifestyle and to introduce them to some amazing people and adventures along the way.
I hope you enjoy what you find and look forward to connecting with you.